Stuck in the mud is a classic game and is a great pulse raiser for any age.
Two people are ‘on’ (that is depending on the size of the class – my example is for a class of 15-23 students). They have to chase the people that are not ‘on’ and tag them.
When they have tagged another student who was not on, that person is ‘stuck in the mud’. They stand with legs and arms out and they cannot move. The only way to release them is if another person who is not stuck goes under the student that is stuck to free them. They can go through the person’s legs, or under their arms.
This continues for about 5-10 minutes or until everybody is stuck. To increase the difficulty level, use more catchers.
Cups and Saucers
Place enough small flexi cones on the floor so that there are at least one for each child. Half of them need to be placed on the floor in the normal way, and half upside down. This creates the cups and saucers.
Divide the class in two, depending on whether they are a cup or saucer and they have to turn the flexi cones over for their team. The team with the most cones turned over within a set time, e.g. 30 seconds, wins.
The game can be repeated by lengthening the time, travelling in a specific way e.g. hopping, or having an uneven split of cones to start with.
All the children get into a big circle. The teacher chooses 4 or 5 children to stand in the middle. On the whistle they then run to a child standing in the circle, tag them and they in turn run to another child. A way of varying this is to shout ‘hop’ or ‘bunny hop’ at various times so the children make use of different muscles.
Wizards and rocks
· Select two pupils to be the “wizards”
· State boundary clearly e.g you can only move around the adminton courts/ rectangle.
· Say “If you are touched by the wizards, you will turn into a rock mmediately.
· To become a pupil again, someone must run around you two times.
Guess the corner
- Pick on person from the class to be the caller. They have to be blindfolded, or close their eyes.
- Name the four corners of the hall / playground (the names can be anything, e.g. flowers, food…)
- The rest of the class have 30 seconds to run to one of those corners.
- The caller then shouts the name of one of the corners.
- Whoever is in this corner is out.
- Continue in this way until there is only one child left.